Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 2 (repeat) P90X3: Agility X

OMG! How much do I LOVE P90X3 and Agility X!!!???  Though I feel like a totally uncoordinated dork, I can already tell that this workout is going to do wonders for my overall health and fitness.  This may sound crazy since I'm not even 40 yet, but I do really worry about being unprepared for aging. No, I'm not worried about wrinkles and that sort of thing.  I want to make sure that I age well and that I am strong and healthy enough to avoid doing long term damage to myself.  Again, what I am about to say may sound NUTS, but I remember when my grandma broke her hip when she was about 82.  That was the end of her good health.  From then on, EVERYTHING she did was a challenge.  She had to start using a walker, then a wheelchair, and the rest is history. She lived until she was 88, but I dare say that those last 6 or so years were not fun for her.  Her body and her bones just couldn't take the stress anymore.

Of course, I'm not 82, but as I was doing Agility X this morning I began to realize that P90X3 is preparing me to AGE WELL.  Sure, I would love to wear a bikini and strut my stuff around a beach, but that is a secondary goal.  My main goal (and it has changed in just a few short weeks) is to age well and be strong going forward.  Maybe these reflections and thoughts are part of the midlife crisis thing that people always talk about (though if wanting to age well and be super fit for the second half of my life is a midlife crisis, I'll take it, and I'm fairly certain my husband will too).  I don't want to be weak or be unable to do things with my kids. If they want to go rock climbing some day, I want to go.  If they want to run a marathon some day, I want to do it with them (they can run ahead of me, of course).  I don't want to be limited by my fitness level and my health.  I want to be able to do whatever I want whenever I want, especially if it involves my family. If I get sick at some point, I want the doctor to be able to look at me and say, "You know what? You're in GREAT shape. You can totally tackle this (whatever it might be)."

So, how to get there? P90X3 is one GREAT way, and Agility X is shaping up to be one of my favorite parts of it.

Agility X, if you haven't done it, is all about balance, short bursts of speed, and jumping while also being very precise.  You are supposed to hit your marks.  To do this, you put masking tape on your floor (imagine the two vertical lines of the letter H) and at both ends and in the middle you have black marks (Sharpie markers are perfect for this).  You then have Tony Horton calling out different moves and different directions as you run, jump, and high kick (if you can; if you're like me you do more of a low-medium kick) your way through the 30 minutes.  It changes constantly, and I am NEVER bored. Within about 2 minutes, I was dripping sweat (as in the carpet below me was drenched).

I feel really invigorated. I love working out in the morning. It makes my day MUCH better as well as my mood.

I am going to take my brother-in-law's advice (see the comments from yesterday's post) and put my workout schedule on the refrigerator.  Currently, it's in the basement near the TV.  I am going to move it.  Great tip, Jer! Thank you.

Onward and upward!

1 comment: