Tuesday, May 13, 2014

P90X3, Day 1, Synergistics

I did really well this morning with my VERY FIRST P90X3 workout.  I stuck with it for the entire 30 minutes and found myself wanting more (I know, totally crazy stuff).

Where I am challenged when I start a workout program is when I don't 'get' every move like the folks on the TV.  I tend to get very discouraged, wondering if I should even keep going.  No matter how many mantras I have or how many inspirational quotes I have hanging near the TV, I still get frustrated. This morning, though, was VERY different: When I couldn't quite get a move (think "Boat and Plow,"or whatever it's called), I was okay with it.  I think it's because I have heard so much about Tony Horton and know that one of his famous encouraging lines is, "Do your best and forget the rest."  So, I did.  I actually LISTENED to that mantra, and it made sense to me.  It got me through the workout.  As I looked at the 90 day calendar, I said to myself, "There is time for improvement."  This thought brought me to the question, "So, Kath, what exactly ARE your goals for this program?"  I find that it's best to put my goals in print (hence, this blog) or say them out loud to someone.  Here goes:

What are my goals for these 90 days (and beyond)?
1) Get up EVERY morning at 5AM to get the daily workout done.  Why 5AM, you ask? Because my kids get up around 5:30AM, and this is the ONLY time of day that I have alone.  This morning, for example, I was 11 minutes in to my workout, and I heard the pitter patter of little feet above me. I knew that my almost 5 year old was up and ready to start his day.  I paused the DVD, plodded (I was already TIRED) up the stairs, opened the door to the basement and there he was smiling.  Hard to be mad at his super cute face, but I thought, "Ok, that was 11 minutes to myself."  Better than nothing.

2) Build muscle and definition in my body.  I have lost a fair bit of weight, but the goal is no longer about that.  Plus, I'm REALLY TIRED of focusing on the scale.  YES, the scale is a decent marker of what is going on with my body, but now the focus is muscle.  Most of us know that muscle weighs more than fat, so it's time to rely on my measurements and my before & after pictures.

3) Make the second half of my life more fit than the first half: I turn 40 on July 15.  I want to be the fittest person I can possibly be for the second half of my life.  I've spent MANY years focused on my weight.  I will let go of that obsession and focus on things that are more important like health, overall wellness, and aging well.  I said to a friend yesterday that I want to get fit and healthy for my family and for myself so that when I do get sick, my body is in peak condition to handle any illness.  My mom got pneumonia about 2 years ago.  She is in really good shape and is very active.  The doctor told her that she would not have handled the illness as well if she hadn't have been in such good shape.  That was a HUGE wake up call for me.  Just 2 months later, I got involved with Beachbody.

4) Take it easy on myself when a workout or a particular move does not go well.  I need to ease up on myself in those moments of self-doubt.  That doubt will get me nowhere other than a couch wondering if I should eat the ice cream now or later.  Nope. Not going to happen.  I'm DONE with going backwards.  Forward (the state motto of Wisconsin) is what I'm all about now.

5) Get my husband doing P90X3.  This goal is WAY out of my control zone, but I'll try and set a good example, show him some results, and take it from there.

I am REALLY excited for this phase of my journey.  There will be challenging moments and days, but I'm looking forward to it.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Love this and will be following. After finishing the 12 weeks and doing every workout, I can tell you its life changing. TS was so fun yesterday. After giving myself a week off my body was dying for it. I'm switching Yoga and Agility to incorporate 3 days of running. Jens on your schedule and is currently doing Agility. I bet she's sweating! The best part is watching yourself improve. You'll be boating and plowing in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jer! So glad you are following and doing X3 at the same time! I am excited to see what the next 90 days bring!

    ReplyDelete